FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – Nearly three dozen dogs were saved from a burning home in Dania Beach.READ MORE: Three People Rescued From Giant Tank At Homestead Fish Farm
The fire broke out Thursday around 10:50 p.m. at a home in the 200 block of Park Street.
A total of 34 dogs were removed from the home. Nine were taken to a vet, five are in critical condition and one was pronounced dead.
Dennis Hartling, who lives nearbye, said he saw the fire on the side of the house by the air conditioning unit and called 911.
“I can smell the smoke and I can hear the crackling from the fire,” said Hartling.
When Broward Sheriff firefighters arrived, they focused not only on the fire but also saving the dogs.READ MORE: CDC Investigating Ground Turkey Products After Salmonella Cases Surface
“They pulled the them all out and began resuscitation,” said Broward Sheriff’s spokesman Mike Jachles.
Hartling said the woman who lives in the home has a habit of keeping dogs cooped up inside.
“It’s not the first time the city showed up here,” said Hartling. “The last time they were here they took 30 dogs off of the property.”
Another neighbor said after this he hopes the city takes some kind of action.
“The smell of dog crap and bleach I gotta put up with, that’s the safety hazard I gotta deal with,” he said.MORE NEWS: World-Famous Artist Pharrell Williams Teams Up Nightlife King Dave Grutman To Bring Goodtime Hotel To Miami Beach
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue units carry pet oxygen masks for situations like this and firefighters are trained in pet resuscitation.