MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Several law enforcement agencies, fire rescue departments and other organizations will be participating in a massive emergency drill across Miami-Dade County on Saturday, February 6th.READ MORE: South Florida Restaurants Desperate For Workers Offer $400 Signing Bonuses
Code-named “Operation Heat Shield,” the exercise is a full-scale regional drill that will provide training “to reduce the vulnerability of the state and the county to disasters, both natural and man-made.”
The drill, which is being hosted by Miami-Dade County, will start at 8 a.m. and last until midnight.
The following venues will serve as scenario hosts:
- Stephen P. Clark Center
- Miami-Dade County Children’s Courthouse
- Mental Health Diversion Facility
- US Coast Guard Station – Sector Miami Beach
- Miami International Airport
- Miami-Dade Public Safety Training Institute
- Lindsey Hopkins Vocational School
- Intracoastal Waterway location
- Marlins Park
READ MORE: Miami GP To Join F1 Calendar From 2022 In 10-Year Deal
Please keep these locations in mind in case you think you witnessed something out of the ordinary.
For those traveling through Miami International Airport, there will be significant activity in the morning on the airfield near Concourse D.
Operation Heat Shield, which is patterned after the Urban Shield drill in California, offers local first responders a series of unique and realistic exercise scenarios designed around events leading to the Major League Baseball 2017 All-Star Game at Marlins Park.
However, unlike Urban Shield where law enforcement and fire exercise separately and as individual teams, multidisciplinary and multi-jurisdictional first responders will exercise together, and test unified command capabilities.
Personnel from the City of Miami Beach, the Broward Sheriff’s Office and the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office will coordinate, control and evaluate one scenario each.MORE NEWS: Hollywood PD Investigating After Body Found In Burning Car
The following Southeast Regional Domestic Security Task Force (RDSTF) member agencies are participants in Operation Heat Shield:
- Aventura Police Department
- Broward Sheriff’s Office
- Coral Gables Police Department
- Department of Homeland Security
- Florida Department of Health
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Fort Lauderdale Police Department
- Miami Beach Fire Rescue
- Miami Beach Police Department
- Miami Fire Rescue
- Miami Police Department
- Miami-Dade Aviation Department
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Office of Emergency Management
- Miami-Dade Police Department
- North Miami Beach Police Department
- Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office
- Pembroke Pines Police Department
- South Florida Fusion Center
- South Florida Regional Planning Council
- West Palm Beach Police Department