Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – They’re one of the hottest gifts of the season – Hover boards or those self-balancing scooters but at least two people say they have unexpectedly caught fire.

Moments after getting his so-called hover board Timothy Cade was calling for help!

“I came outside turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet and it exploded,” said Cade.

And he’s not alone.

In Louisiana, Jessica Horne said the popular transportation device is the reason she won’t have a home this holiday.

“I just seen sparks like shhhhh like shooting like a firework and before I had time to even say that it was on fire, the house was on fire… the entire middle of the board just poof. I mean it just literally exploded,” said Horne.

Horne bought the device for her son’s birthday last month.  Her local fire department is now investigating.

While there haven’t been any recalls issued, hover boards have been at the center of at least one warning.

Last month in the United Kingdom, the London Fire Department, warned users to keep watch over the devices while they charge after responding to two fires.

Cade said he still wants another one.

“They’re so fun. I would take more precaution,” he said.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said consumers should report any product safety issues.

Some of hover boards can go up to 10 mph, and range in price from about $200 to about $2,000.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s