Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Good news for drivers who were stuck on that mess on I-95 in NW Dade Monday morning, the southbound lanes are re-opening.
Those lanes were re-opened just after 2:35 p.m. All northbound lanes had also re-opened in the area.
This came nearly ten and half hours after a deadly double shooting forced investigators to close the highway through Monday morning rush hour.
Miami-Dade Police Detective Marjorie Eloi told CBS4’s Petet D’Oench “Unfortunately two men this morning lost their lives and we are working to find out what happened.”
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, two cars were traveling south on I-95 when gunfire erupted between NW 95th Street and NW 79th Street around 4:00 a.m.
“I don’t know what they was shooting about but it sound like a gun battle,” said a man who heard the gunfire but didn’t want to be identified.
One of the cars involved ran off the road into a grassy area.
A second car ended up with two flat tires facing the wrong way. Paramedics discovered the body of a man inside that car. He was pronounced dead on scene.
Another man was found bleeding in the northbound lanes of I-95 and taken to the hospital.
The man’s family identified him as 23-year old Nathaniel Peterson. They said he died of his injuries. Peterson was the father of a 1-year old daughter.
Records show Peterson has been in trouble before and was arrested and served time in prison for aggravated assault and battery.
Police detained several people for questioning but as of Monday evening no arrests had been made.
I-95 was shut down at NW 95th Street for hours. Traffic was detoured to south U.S. 441 and was allowed to get back on southbound I-95 at the 79th Street exit. The northbound I-95 lanes were also shut down at NW 81st Street.
Police are looking for witnesses to come forward and anyone with information about the shooting should call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477).