Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

HOMESTEAD (CBSMiami) – The grandmother of a 26-year-old man who is tied to a violent home invasion and the ambush and shooting of a mother early Thursday morning says she prays he did not commit the crimes.

She is particularly concerned because that grandson, 26-year-old Walter Luckett, was just released from prison September 3rd after serving six months for armed robbery.

In an exclusive interview with CBS4’s Peter D’Oench, the emotional grandmother, Mary Shavers, said, “I have been crying and praying all night to the Lord that he didn’t do that.”

“He’s a good kid,” she added. “He grew up going to church. It makes me feel bad. I raised him in the church. But Walter has his own mind. I am not responsible for what he is doing now. Now my heart goes out to the family of that woman. I feel so bad.”

That mother of two children, 33-year-old Isalia Hernandez, was airlifted to Kendall Regional Medical Center after she was shot in the chest and the arm. She was initially listed in critical condition.

Luckett and his brother, 23-year-old Wallace Brooks, are both charged in the home invasion that happened just before 12:30 a.m. on Thursday in Homestead.

D’Oench also spoke exclusively with one of the victims of the home invasion, who asked that he not be identified and only wanted to show part of his face.

He said it all started when a woman knocked on his door.

“I opened the door to see if I could help her and a little short guy with a tattoo on his face came in first,” he said. “They had guns in my face and they started asking me where the money and guns were. They took my wallet with money in it. My mother then tried to get up and I was worried about her.”

A Miami-Dade Police report said one of the gunmen had an AK-47 and said they demanded money, guns and drugs. They fled after taking the victim’s cash and after threatening to kill him.

“I was scared because it’s my mother’s house and my son was sleeping,” said the 29-year-old victim. “How do I feel about this? There are no words now. I’m glad they were caught. If they weren’t I would try to find them. Now I would like to know what is going on with that woman who knocked at our door. Will she be arrested?”

Two and half hours after the home invasion, Hernandez was ambushed and shot outside her home at S.W. 160th Ave. and 304th St. as she returned home from work.

According to a police report, she saw the gunman standing on a street corner. She said he shot her after demanding her purse. He fled on foot.

Mary Shavers said Luckett and his brother were both arrested after the crimes while riding in her car. She said Luckett had called her asking for help and so she picked him up and said she had no idea what he had been doing.

“I can’t believe this,” she said. “And I think his brother was innocent of the home invasion.”

But the victim said he identified both Luckett and his brother after the incident when police took him to the crime scene and where he saw them both sitting in police cars.

Luckett came before a judge in bond court and was asked if he had any mental health issues. He said he did not.

Luckett faces a slew of charges including attempted felony murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He faces another court appearance on Tuesday and is being held without bond.

Peter D'Oench