MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Miami-Dade Commissioner Jose ‘Pepe’ Diaz was back in county hall for the first time since his DUI arrest on Tuesday.
Diaz arrived at the county commission chambers facing questions about his political future.
After sitting down, Diaz read a prepared statement. The commissioner apologized and thanked everyone for their support.
“I wanted to take a moment to apologize to you and my colleagues for any embarrassment my personal and legal situation has caused this great governing body of ours,” said Diaz.
He went on to say this was something he would deal with personally.
“This has nothing to do with my elected position. This is a personal matter that happened on my personal time. And I want to thank all of you for your support thank you,” said Diaz.
Diaz’s position that this is a personal matter is shared by at least two fellow county officials.
“That was respectful for him. Thank God in this nation everyone has due process and he’s going through his,” said Miami-Dade Comissioner Rebecca Sosa.
“I don’t believe this particular case has anything to do with corruption or taking bribes. It’s a separate matter,” said Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez.
Last month, Diaz was charged with Driving Under The Influence. On the scene police cameras showed him nearly dropping his motorcycle.
He was processed as he refused to take a breathalyzer.
His license is suspended for a year but he can use it to drive to work related events.
The spokesperson says he is not commenting beyond what he said to the commission on Tuesday and he is off to do the people’s business.