Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Miami Marlins 2015 season has been a major disappointment from just about every angle.

READ MORE: Shot Doral Police Officer In Serious But Stable Condition, Second Officer Recovering

The team has long been out of the playoff hunt and injuries to its two best players have kept fans away from attending home games.

There has been talk that both of those players, slugger Giancarlo Stanton and pitching ace Jose Fernandez, would return before the end of the season.  Now it seems that only one may make it back to the lineup.

Marlins manager Dan Jennings said he expects Fernandez to return sometime in mid-September.  The 22-year-old pitcher suffered a biceps strain that has kept him out of commission since early August.

READ MORE: 2 Doral Police Officers Injured In Shooting Near Miami-Dade Police Headquarters; Suspect Killed

As for Stanton, he was hoping to return sometime during the month of September and began a rehab assignment last week.

Unfortunately, things haven’t been progressing at the rate that Stanton and the Marlins had hoped, and he said on Sunday that missing the rest of the season is a strong possibility.

Stanton has been out since late June after suffering a broken bone in his hand.

MORE NEWS: Miami Dolphins Legend Nat Moore Visits Miami Palmetto Senior High School; School Receives Football Equipment

Follow David on Twitter (@DavidDwork