Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The family and friends of a 17-year-old teen killed during a juvenile detention center fight are stunned to hear he is dead after being locked up.

“Rest and peace to my cuzin (sic) Elord Revolte. No farewell words were spoken. No time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it. And only god knows why.”

Those were the words written on a Facebook page post honoring Revolte.

Investigators are trying to find out what happened.

So far investigators know Revolte was in foster care and ran away from a Miami Beach foster home in July.

He eventually ended up in juvenile detention on Northwest 27th Avenue, where according to investigators, a fight broke out Sunday afternoon between 15 to 20 inmates. During the fight, Revolte was injured.

Police said medical personnel checked him out immediately, but he wasn’t transported to Holtz Children’s Hospital until the next day, and he died shortly after.

A number of agencies are waiting for the medical examiner to release the official cause of death before commenting on the death any further.

A neighbor of Revolte’s foster mom, who didn’t want to be identified, said she’s heart broken.

“Very nice, never saw problems,” said the neighbor.

One of the teen’s living at the foster home where Revolte stayed is stunned.

“I was in shock. I didn’t know that happened to him,” said Angel Tamayo, a teen who also lives at the home. “He wanted to make money by himself. He didn’t want to depend on people.”

Revolte disappeared from his foster home and was reported missing sometime after.

Police reports show on August 28th Revolte and another boy robbed a man of his cellphone on Miami Beach, on the corner of Washington and 9th.

That incident landed Revolte in the juvenile detention center where he later died.

The Florida Department of Juvenile Justice released a statement that read, in part:

“It’s absolutely heart breaking… In addition to the investigation by Miami-Dade police, the department has our own investigation to ensure all proper procedures were followed.”

The DJJ and the state attorney’s office said they are waiting for Miami-Dade Police to wrap up its investigation before commenting further.

Miami Dade Police says it’s waiting for the Medical Examiner’s report before commenting.

Meantime, there are a number of cameras that record the moves of the teens being held inside the facility.  CBS4 has requested a copy of the tapes rolling Sunday night.