Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

WEST PALM BEACH (CBSMiami/NSF) — A West Palm Beach hospital is closing its infant heart surgery program following media reports on a series of deaths.

READ MORE: Federal Government's N95 Masks Distribution Starts Monday

St. Mary’s Medical Center had already stopped performing heart surgery on babies under 6 months old in June, after nine children died during the program’s first four years.

Reports by CNN in early June drew national attention to the deaths.

The hospital has been reviewing its options since the reports and said Monday it made the decision to close the program and was not compelled by a state agency or other regulatory body.

READ MORE: Mark Rosenberg Acknowledges He Resigned As FIU President Because ‘I Caused Discomfort For A Valued Employee’

In a statement, St. Mary’s indicated that media reports played a role in its decision.

“The inaccurate media reports on our program have made it significantly more challenging to build sustainable volume in our program,” the statement said. “At this time we feel it is best to focus on other services needed by our community.”

But Louis St. Petery, a pediatric cardiologist and children’s-health activist, said the St. Mary’s program never had the volume of cases needed to maintain the highest standards. “If you’re not going to run a quality cardiac program for children, then you don’t need to be in that business,” he said.

MORE NEWS: Mural Honoring Gloria & Emilio Estefan Unveiled In Little Havana

(The News Service of Florida contributed to this report.)