COCONUT CREEK (CBSMiami) – Fire investigators are searching through a mangled, muddy mess Monday after two mobile homes were destroyed by flames Monday morning.READ MORE: Inter Miami CF Unveils 'La Palma' 2021 Secondary Jersey, As Team Gets Ready For 2021 MLS Season
At approximately 5:34 AM, the Coconut Creek Police Department responded to 6535 NW 34 Ave.
The fire started in one home and then spread to a second mobile home at the Tallowwood Mobile Home Park, according to Margate Fire.
“There was a lot of heat involved and also with the closeness of the structures the only way to actually get to the fire to keep it from spreading was to attack it from above,” said Deputy Fire Marshall for Coconut Creek Jeffrey Gary.
Both residents from the homes were already evacuated when officers arrived.
The Margate/Coconut Creek Fire Department was able to contain the fire, which took approximately 90 minutes to control, and prevented it from spreading beyond the two homes.
A resident, 65-year-old John Sutton, was transported to Northwest Regional Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Authorities say he was later transported to Kendall Regional Medical Center for treatment of second-degree burns. He is listed in critical condition.READ MORE: Precautionary Boil Water Notice In Effect For Section Of Victoria Park
The second homeowner, an 81-year-old woman, did not need medical attention.
Neighbors told CBS4 they heard a ‘boom’ around the time the fire started.
“It was a great big boom and my husband yelled ‘get away from there,'” said Judy Saarinen.
Investigators said a propane tank from a barbecue grill exploded.
“All of a sudden the propane tank exploded in the shed and the embers and ash went hundreds of feet in the air,” said Capt. John Jahomarkt.
Neighbors said they saw Sutton before he was taken to the hospital.
“They escorted him into the ambulance,” Sharon said, “He was walking so that’s a good sign.”MORE NEWS: Biden's $1.9 Trillion Relief Bill Passes House, But Faces Senate Hurdle
The Red Cross is helping the 81-year-old woman who doesn’t have a place to stay.