DEERFIELD BEACH (CBSMiami) — Broward Sheriff’s fire crews pulled an 80-year old woman from a burning home in Deerfield Beach Tuesday afternoon.READ MORE: Florida Gov. DeSantis Approves First Responders PTSD Measure
Fire officials said they rescued Mary Smith, the owner of the home, from the back bedroom of the home located near the 5300 block NE 8th Avenue.
Smith is doing okay, according to Broward fire officials. Even the family dog, Lilly, is okay.
Investigators said the fire broke out in a bedroom on the North side of the home and when firefighters arrived, the flames were pouring from that area of the house.
A charred bed and the bedroom were seen burned up. Firefighters broke out a window in the home to get at the fire.READ MORE: Florida Gov. DeSantis Signs Bill On Gopher Tortoise Sites
Smith told CBS4’s Carey Codd she was laying down when the fire started. She said her great grandsons accidentally started the blaze.
Another family member said it appears the boys lit a candle and it caught a bed on fire.
Fire Rescue said the woman was in the back area of the house and firefighters went in and helped her to safety.
“They came and told me what I needed to do and what I didn’t need to do and naturally I followed what they say,” said Smith.MORE NEWS: Police Will Be Out In Force In Miami Beach To Ensure A Safe Memorial Day Holiday
Firefighters coaxed the family’s rottweiler out from under a bed and to safety as well.
The family says they’ve been told they cannot stay at the home for possibly a few nights. It is unclear where they’ll go.