TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Florida Governor Rick Scott ordered the state’s National Guard recruiters to work in nearby armories, following the deadly shooting in Tennessee that killed four marines and one sailor.
In an executive order, the Republican governor said he wants recruiters to move from six storefront locations into armories until state officials can evaluate and make security improvements, including possibly installing bullet-proof glass or enhanced surveillance equipment.
Since the Tennessee shootings, security at recruiting centers has come under scrutiny. Military officials have said security at recruiting and reserve centers will be reviewed, but the Army’s top officer, Gen. Ray Odierno, said it’s too early to say whether the facilities should have security guards or other increased protection.
Scott’s order also calls on National Guard officers to make sure all full-time members of the guard are armed. The governor said a weapon will be given to members of the guard who do not currently have them.
Defense Secretary Ash Carter late Friday asked the military services to determine if additional steps can be taken to ensure people are safe at military installations, and said he wants a report back by the end of next week.
The comments came as Navy officials confirmed a separate incident outside Atlanta, where a recruiter accidently shot himself in the leg with his personal .45-caliber pistol while discussing the Tennessee shootings with one of his recruits. Officials said he showed the sailor the unloaded gun, then reloaded it and inadvertently discharged it as he was putting it back in his holster.
Tennessee Congressman Scott DesJarlais said he has drafted legislation entitled the “Enhancing Safety at Military Installations Act” that would repeal bans on military personnel carrying firearms on military recruitment facilities and bases.
“Our men and women in uniform are owed the right to protect themselves and others while in service of our country,” he said earlier this week. “While it is uncertain as to whether this legislation would have made an impact in this particular situation, it is clear that our military personnel have become targets, not just abroad, but on American soil as well. Therefore they must be given the tools to defend themselves.”
Click here to view the full order issued by Gov. Scott.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)