Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) – The Venetian Causeway is officially closed for the start of a nine-month-long construction project.

READ MORE: South Dade NAACP President Dwight Bullard Says Derek Chauvin Being Found Guilty ‘A Glimmer Of Hope’ But Fight Isn’t Over

The dilapidated, patched westernmost stretch of the Venetian Causeway that connects the mainland to Biscayne Island closed Monday for the start of a $12.4 million renovation project.

Antonio Cotarelo is the Miami-Dade County Engineer overseeing the project.

“This is a portion for the bridge that is over 80 years old,” said Cotarelo while pointing at a piece of the bridge. “This is absolutely necessary.”

READ MORE: ‘I’m Speechless’: Rep. Frederica Wilson Among South Florida Leaders Who Believe Justice Was Served In Derek Chauvin Trial

CLICK HERE to watch CBS4’s report

After a hole opened up last year on the Venetian Causeway, the county declared the repairs an emergency.

While the Venetian is closed, residents will have to head to Miami Beach and get on the already busy MacArthur or Julia Tuttle causeways.

The eastern side of the causeway will remain locked down so drivers can get in and out of the islands and the bridge will only be raised for emergency situations.

MORE NEWS: Florida Senate Eyes Social Media Crackdown

If everything goes by schedule, the project will wrap up by February 26, 2016.