Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – It’s been three years since a homeless man was brutally attacked by a naked man on a causeway in Miami—an incident, which made national headlines, came to be known as the “Causeway Cannibal Attack.”

READ MORE: Seminoles Suspend Sports Betting After Court Rulings

On May 26, 2012, Ronald Poppo was attacked by Rudy Eugene on the MacArthur Causeway.

The attack left Poppo, a homeless man whose face was mostly chewed off in the bizarre attach, mutilated and blind.

Since the attack, Poppo has been living in a long term medical facility.

Eugene attacked, leaving Poppo without a left eye, nose and without a lot of skin.

Eugene, who stripped off all his clothing prior to the attack, was also seen swinging from a light pole minutes before the carnage.

READ: Exclusive: For The First Time, Cannibal Victim Speaks

The naked Eugene punched Poppo, who was sleeping at the time, and stripped him of his pants before chewing on his face.

He accused Poppo of stealing his Bible.

READ MORE: 23rd Annual 'A Home For The Holidays At The Grove' Comes To CBS On Sunday, December 5th

The attack ended when a Miami police officer shot and killed Eugene.

The motive for the attack is still unknown.

Blood and toxicology tests on Eugene found only traces of marijuana despite speculation that he was under the influence of something else.

The gruesome cannibal-like attack made national headlines.

(Source: Jackson Memorial Hospital)

(Source: Jackson Memorial Hospital)

Poppo underwent several surgeries to repair the damage done by Eugene and has insisted he doesn’t want any more help or any more surgeries.

He doesn’t like to leave his hospital room and doesn’t allow any visitors, other than his doctors and nurses.

Poppo said he spends his time playing guitar and he likes to listen to the Miami Heat games on the radio.

Slideshow: Ronald Poppo’s Recovery

MORE NEWS: Sharp Increase In Hospitalized Children With Covid Investigated In South Africa

For the most part Poppo’s medical treatment is complete. He is fully funded by Medicaid and can remain at the long term medical facility indefinitely. He also has $100,000 in a foundation fund thanks to the community.