Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – All charges against a South Miami Dade man accused of kidnapping and raping a teen girl will be formally dropped after DNA results showed he was not the attacker, according to his lawyer.

Miguel Macias, 21, was arrested March 13th after an 18-year old woman contacted Miami-Dade police and said he was the person who had attacked her.

The woman said she met her attacker in December while hanging out with friends behind a supermarket, according to CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald. She told police the man insisted on giving her a ride. He reportedly drove her to a nursery in Redland and sexually assaulted her.

Eiglarsh said prosecutors decided to file charges against Macias based on the woman’s word. The woman reportedly found Macias on Facebook and thought he was the man responsible.

Macias’ attorney, Mark Eiglarsh, said during questioning his client vehemently denied that it was him and volunteered a DNA sample to prove that the semen recovered from the girl was not his.

Macias was locked up for more than six weeks before initial DNA results, and an airtight alibi, exonerated him.
He was released from jail last week.

On Wednesday Macias will go before Judge Jason Birch who will officially drop the charges.

 

 

CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed to this report.

Comments