Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

WILTON MANTORS (CBSMiami) – A Wilton Manors father is dead, his wife and daughter hospitalized after a car was left running inside a garage of a Wilton Manors townhouse.

READ MORE: Miami-Dade AT&T Call Center Evacuated After Bomb Threat

Louis Agro, 43, died from carbon monoxide poisoning. His wife Regina, 37, and their daughter Sophia, 11, were unresponsive but still alive when they were taken to Broward Health Medical Center.

Authorities say Regina Agro was discovered unconscious on the second floor of her apartment. Sophia Agro was discovered unconscious on the 3rd floor of her apartment at the Belle Isle Townhomes at 2259 N.E. 9th Ave.

Three neighbors, two of which live next door, were also taken to the hospital. One of them tried to help but was reportedly overcome by fumes.

Authorities say 45-year-old Keith Moore was taken to the hospital after he and Mark Thompson tried to help the victims.

The Broward Sheriffs Office says 29-year-old Kyle White and 30-year-old Michael Gutierrez were found unconscious in the apartment next to the Agros and were also taken to the hospital. A Fort Lauderdale Firefighter-Paramedic was also treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and released.

Deputy Fire Chief of Fort Lauderdale Timothy Heiser said firefighters came upon two deceased dogs in the living room of the home. One cat also died but another was saved.

CLICK HERE to watch Carey Codd’s report

Broward Sheriff’s Office is trying to determine if the incident was an accident.

Neighbors, according to BSO, initially noticed the garage door was left open early in the morning.

READ MORE: Florida Lawyer Who Represented George Zimmerman In Trayvon Martin Case Arrested

“The neighbors were heading out to go exercise at approximately 5:30 in the morning when they first initially noticed that the garage door was left open. They thought it was odd, but went about their business. When they came back from working out, they realized that the garage door was still open. They thought that was very suspicious and that’s when they went in and attempted to make contact with their neighbors and then they found the body,” said Gina Carter, a spokesperson with BSO.

Carter said the neighbors did CPR and called 9-1-1 when they noticed that the car was still running.

The family, neighbors said, was away for the weekend.

One neighbor, who would only identify himself as “Tom,” said “From what I hear, they had unloaded the vehicle and had forgotten to shut off the engine.”

Police said it appeared the family may have unloaded the car, and then forgotten the car was still on.

Some neighbors, like Vince Lugo, are shocked and saddened by the situation.

“It’s terrible. I never thought I would hear something like that. It was parked in a garage unit in a two-car garage. You should never leave your car running unattended,” Lugo said. “You can never be too careful.”

The incident appears to be an accident but the cause, according to police, is somewhat suspicious.

The family’s silver Ford Escape was taken away on a flatbed. Heiser said they are unsure how long the car was left running, but said the incident serves as a reminder of the importance of a carbon monoxide detector.

“It’s very important you look at a scene like this to realize how dangerous this is and how important it is to have carbon monoxide detectors in your house which, you know, can make a difference in a situation like this,” Heiser said.

MORE NEWS: Gabby Petito's Parents Traveled To Wyoming To Bring Her Remains Home

BSO said Regina Argo was transferred to Mercy Hospital for special treatment.