SUNRISE (CBSMiami) – A family in Sunrise has been displaced after mechanical problems with their central heater caused their home to catch fire Thursday morning.READ MORE: FIU President Mark Rosenberg Resigns, Cites Health Issues
The home, located in the 12000 block of NW 13th Street in Sunrise, went up in flames. The fire chief confirmed the cause of fire was due to mechanical issues with the central heater.
Craig Curry, the homeowner, told CBS4’s Marybel Rodriguez that he had turned the heater on last night, but turned it off because it smelled funny.
Thursday morning the homeowner said he turned on the heat again before leaving the house to drop grandson off at school. While he was away, he got a call that his house was on fire.
“The front looks decent, the back is all gone, the kitchen, the family room it’s all chard,” said Curry.
His wife, daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren were in the home when the fire started. All were able to get out safely.READ MORE: Armed Robbery In Medley Leads Investigators To Human Trafficking Arrests
“Thank God we didn’t leave it on last night. It could have been worse,” said Curry.
Several fire crews arrived to put out the fire—which was out in 15-mintues.
The family moved into the home less than a year ago.
The fire, a rude awakening for Curry’s family, serves as a safety lesson officials say others should follow.
“We would like all residents during these cold weather advisories to turn on the heaters when they are awake and alert make sure that everything is functioning rather than the risk of doing it at night or when you are not at home.”
The chief said it’s normal for the central heater, because we don’t use it much, to have a weird smell at first but it should last only about 15 minutes. In Curry’s case, he said it also had a rattling sound.
The chief recommends everyone check their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors if they have a gas heater.MORE NEWS: Heat's Late Game Rally Not Enough As Hawks Pull Away 110-108
Curry said he will be contacting his homeowners insurance. The Red Cross responded and will help the family out for the next couple of days.