Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A tree trimmer from West Miami-Dade has his quick-thinking neighbor, who happens to be a nurse, to thank after he was shocked while pruning a tree on a 10-foot ladder.
Anthony Toledo, on November 6th, was up on his ladder, trimming some trees branches when one snapped and grazed a nearby power line. Toledo fell from the shock.
“All I really remember is going to work and waking up in a hospital,” said the grandfather, who is in his mid-forties.
His neighbor, a nurse, heard the commotion outside and rushed over.
Anthony heart was no longer beating.
While emergency crews were dispatched, his neighbor started CPR on him.
“We found him not breathing, with no pulse and assisted him on our EKG,” said Captain Scott Tracy of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. “We pulled him out of the bushes and started CPR.”
After ten minutes of CPR and shocking his heart, they got it going. But Toledo wasn’t out of the woods just yet.
Doctors at Kendall Regional Medical Center said when someone is shocked, and flat lines, usually the heat causes them to experience some form of brain damage. Within five minutes, the victim can undergo cardiac arrest and even death. The doctors knew they had to act fast to cool Toledo’s body down.
“We went ahead and cooled Mr. Toledo, using a cool ice protocol in our medical center,” said Trauma surgeon, Dr. Mark Cockburn.
The procedure brings the body temperature down to about 93.2 degrees Fahrenheit which prevents further swelling of the brain.
After a week in the hospital, Toledo was released, but never got a chance to say thank you to the people who saved his life until now–almost 11 weeks after it happened.
This wasn’t the only time Toledo was shocked while on the job. But the first time, he said, was nothing like his November incident.
Toledo told CBS4 he loves what he does and will continue his work as a tree trimmer. But, moving forward, he will tree trim with added caution.