FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami)– Ninety-year old Chef Arnold Abbott helped feed the homeless just hours before ringing in the new year on Wednesday.READ MORE: Vince Lago Wins Coral Gables Mayoral Race
All this comes as the feud between the city of Fort Lauderdale and groups that want to feed the homeless outside of the parameters of the city’s law have reached a temporary truce.
“We’re ready to fight on into 2015,” said Abbott. “I haven’t heard a word from the city yet. We’re supposed to be trying to mediate this and when I hear from them, we’ll start our talks.”
Last week the city filed a motion to appeal the stay of enforcement, issued by Broward Circuit Judge Thomas Lynch, on the feeding of the homeless in outdoor venues.
Judge Lynch issued the ruling in response to a suit brought by Arnold Abbot in which he claim the city was in violation of a previous court order which allowed him to feed the homeless on Fort Lauderdale beach.READ MORE: Road To Reopening: Miami-Dade, Broward Public Schools Planning 100% In-Person Instruction In The Fall
Upon the city’s filing of the appeal Thursday, the homeless feeding ordinance automatically went back into effect.
The ordinance restricts homeless feedings indoors where there are bathrooms and the food can be heated. Abbott, 90, who has fed the homeless on the beach every Wednesday for years, has been cited three times for violating it.
Last week, Judge Lynch took up the appeal.
“My client will be harmed if you don’t lift the stay,” Abbott’s lawyer told the judge.
Judge Lynch ended up extending his stay of enforcement for 45 days. In that time, he ordered Abbott and his representatives to have talks with the city to reach a compromise.
Abbott’s supporters said they believe the ordinance is unconstitutional and will be struck down.MORE NEWS: Sens. Rubio, Scott Say It’s Too Soon To Weigh In On Gaetz's Future
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]