MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Putting the ‘nut’ in Coconut Grove, hundreds of people are expected to line the streets of Coconut Grove on Sunday for the 33rd annual King Mango Strut.
The parade, which started in 1982 as a satiric send up of the Orange Bowl parade, pokes fun at some of the biggest stories of the year.
This year’s slogan theme: “Life is just ebola cherries.”
Among the acts featured this year:
▪ “FanGate” — remembering the [Florida governor’s] “debate that blew us all away,”
▪ “Invasion of the White House: Intruder Alert!” ▪ “Taken by Tolls on the 836 and 112.”
▪ “Charles Manson’s Wedding.
Parking is available along or near the parade route at CocoWalk, Mayfair, Coconut Grove Playhouse on Main Highway and Charles Avenue, St. Stephens Episcopal Church, Coconut Grove Elementary School, the city garage at Oak Avenue and Mary Street, and the city garage next to Sonesta Hotel.
Those who don’t want to drive can hop the Metrorail to the Coconut Grove Station. There will be shuttle buses (the Coconut Grove Circulator) picking up excited parade-goers every 15 minutes at the station and dropping them one block from the parade route.
The festivities end at 6 p.m.
- Police Arrest South Florida Man For Stalking Woman & Her 3 Daughters
- 32 Cold Sea Turtles Flown To Florida Keys To Warm Up
- Spacewalking Astronauts Check Site Of Mysterious Capsule Leak
- WFOR-TV’s ‘The Everglades: Where Politics, Money and Race Collide’ Wins Prestigious DuPont-Columbia Award
- South Florida Man Celebrates Gift Of Life For The Holidays