Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Florida has sold a closed hospital along with nearly 500 acres to a company which plans to replace it with a driver training center and a hotel.
Florida is selling off a closed hospital and nearly 500 acres to a company that is promising to build a driver training center and hotel.
Gov. Rick Scott and members of the Florida Cabinet on Tuesday voted to sell the former G. Pierce Wood Memorial Hospital to Power Auto Corporation for $2.5 million.
The hospital located near Arcadia treated individuals with special needs and mental illness from 1947 to 2002. It was then used to house juvenile criminals for nearly a decade before it was shut down.
The site still contains a multi-story hospital as well as a gym, warehouses and a chapel. The state asked for more money for the property earlier this year but it did not receive any offers.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Acting Homeland Security Secretary: Plan To Send Immigrants From Southern US Border To South Florida No Longer An Option
- West Palm Beach Restaurant Employee Tests Positive For Hepatitis A
- Trayvon Martin’s Mother Running For Miami-Dade Commission Seat
- Deadly Police Involved Shooting In Miami Gardens
- Bodycam Video Released Of Student Takedown At Blanche Ely High School