TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Florida has sold a closed hospital along with nearly 500 acres to a company which plans to replace it with a driver training center and a hotel.
Florida is selling off a closed hospital and nearly 500 acres to a company that is promising to build a driver training center and hotel.
Gov. Rick Scott and members of the Florida Cabinet on Tuesday voted to sell the former G. Pierce Wood Memorial Hospital to Power Auto Corporation for $2.5 million.
The hospital located near Arcadia treated individuals with special needs and mental illness from 1947 to 2002. It was then used to house juvenile criminals for nearly a decade before it was shut down.
The site still contains a multi-story hospital as well as a gym, warehouses and a chapel. The state asked for more money for the property earlier this year but it did not receive any offers.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Hundreds Of Veterans Receive Thanksgiving Lunch At Marlins Park
- 2 Sons Of Former Panama President Detained In Coral Gables
- Ditch The Scale This Holiday, Try Intuitive Eating
- Suspect Sought In Robbery Of Convenience Store In Broward
- Sunrise Man Accused Of Hitting Boy In Head With Phone Over Homework Problem