Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A man has been extradited from Peru to Miami to face charges of sexual assault on a child.
City of Miami Police issued an arrest warrant for Joel Alexander Chirinos, 31, in 2008.
Detectives said he left to Peru, where police say he was trying to avoid prosecution.
Recently, deputy marshals from Miami flew to Peru recently and returned Chirinos back to Miami-Dade County to face criminal charges.
U.S. Marshalls said Chirinos’ alleged victim was younger than 12-years old.
CBS4 cameras rolled as Chirino was being escorted through Miami International Airport moments after arriving Thursday afternoon.
Chirinos is charged with lewd and lascivious conduct on a child under 16, lewd and lascivious molestation of a child under 12 and sexual battery of a child under 12.
“It’s alleged that Chirino was victimizing and sexually assaulting the victim from the child she was seven years old. I mean he was arrested a year ago, so for the past year he has been detained in the Castro prison in Lima,” said Barry Golden with the U.S. Marshall Service.
As of Thursday evening, the Miami Police were questioning him.
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Announces Millions For Florida Keys For Hurricane Irma Recovery & Affordable Housing
- Miami Proud: Aerospace Engineering Program & Rocket Building Competition Prepares Plantation High School Students For Lift Off
- Changing Lanes: Miami Drivers Face Major Traffic Shift On 836
- Three Men Stabbed At Miami Apartment Building On Biscayne Boulevard
- Shoplifters Steal $1,000 Worth Of Merchandise From Pembroke Pines Walgreen’s