MIAMI (AP) — Rice scored on its first three possessions, Driphus Jackson passed for 230 yards with TD bombs of 63 and 69 yards and the Owls beat Florida International 31-17 on Saturday.
A Zach Patt sack and fumble recovery gave Rice the ball at the 19 and Jowan Davis punched it on the next play. It was the second straight game the Owls (5-3, 3-2 C-USA) scored on the first play.
James Farrimond followed with a career-long 40-yard field goal, and Jordan Taylor hauled in a 63-yard pass from Jackson.
FIU (3-6, 2-3) closed to 17-14 but Rice broke away on its next possession when Jackson found James Mayden on a 69-yard scoring hookup.
A short FIU punt in the fourth quarter allowed Rice to cover 46 yards in six plays and lead 31-17 on Luke Turner’s run from the 1 after a Jackson-to-Taylor 21-yarder set up first-and-goal at the 3.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Vatrano’s Big Night Helps Panthers Crush San Jose For Third Straight Win
- Irving’s 26 Points, 10 Assists Carries Celtics Past Heat
- High Expectations Surround Super Bowl LIV, Coming To South Florida In 2020
- NFL Championships Team Grades: Rams, Pats Advance To Super Bowl LIII
- Dolphins Must Wait To Hire Patriots’ Flores As New Head Coach Until After Super Bowl