Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Crews rushed a man to the hospital after a wall came tumbling down on him at a Brickell construction site on Friday morning.

READ MORE: Florida COVID-19 Hospitalizations Decrease

Firefighters say it happened about 7:00 a.m. at the Brickell City Center which is under construction at SE 8th Street and 1st Avenue.

CLICK HERE To Watch Maggie Newland’s Report 

Miami Police said the 25-year old man was working on the 29th floor of the site when a wall of rebar fell on him. They don’t know what caused the wall to fall.

“He was working next to the wall and he noticed the wall becoming unstable and he tried to get away but in his attempt he was caught by his helmet by part of the wall that brought him to the ground,” said Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire Rescue.

The wall of rebar that fell and injured a construction worker in Miami on October 31, 2014. (Source: CBS4)

The wall of rebar that fell and injured a construction worker in Miami on October 31, 2014. (Source: CBS4)

The man suffered head trauma, according to police.

The worker was wearing a hard hat at the time which, officials said is what saved his life.

Rescue crews had to lower him down from the construction site using a crane.

Click here to view pictures of the rescue. 

READ MORE: Free Rapid At-Home COVID-19 Tests Can Be Ordered Online

“He was on the 29th floor and four of those floors below were only accessible by using a ladder so we weren’t able to stabilize and bring him down safely so we had to contact our technical rescue team ,” said Carroll.

One of his rescuers, Firefighter Anna Fiorenza, spoke to CBS4’s Maggie Newland.

“We had to climb up ladders because it was under construction because there was no way to get there safely that’s why we chose the way to lower the victim the way that we did,” said Fiorenza.

Firefighters placed the worker on a backboard in what’s called a stokes basket. Fiorenza was with him as the basket was lowered to the ground by crane.

“I was there in case the patient got unconscious or had difficulty breathing. I was there,” said  Fiorenza. “It was an experience. It was a little nerve-wracking at first. I’m sure for me and the patient we were both probably a little nervous but when it started lowering it I felt comfortable with my team and the equipment and the team that set up the equipment, it was actually a nice ride.”

One on the ground,  he was rushed to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

At last check, he was still being evaluated. No word on his condition.

[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]


MORE NEWS: Florida House Panel Backs Proposal Limiting Ballot Initiatives