LAUDERHILL (CBSMiami) – An eight-year-old boy remains in the hospital after a fireworks accident resulted in a partial amputation of his fingers.READ MORE: State Argues Judge Should Reject COVID-19 Records Case
It happened Friday night while neighbors said a group of kids was playing outside a Lauderhill home.
Antwaun Cummings was badly injured, “I had it in my hand but my hand was close to it,” he said. “Then it blew up.”
The eight-year-old is still in a Fort Lauderdale hospital and with his mother’s permission, he explained what happened after the explosion.
“My hand was shaking, but I wasn’t crying,” Cummings said. “I was walking by the lake started crying. (Other kids) started laughing and I went home and started crying.”
The fireworks Cummings was playing with were illegal and extremely dangerous to anyone who is not a professional with handling them.
“Apparently he was playing with a high-grade mortar fireworks, same fireworks they use at parks and sporting events,” said Captain Jerry Gonzalez with Lauderhill Fire Rescue. “Highly illegal and unfortunately something we see too much.”
Cummings underwent surgery.READ MORE: Ring Doorbell Camera Appears To Show Elderly Woman Threatening Neighbor With Knife
“A piece of my thumb came off, right here got smashed,” he said.
The eight-year-old is in good spirits, but is worried that he won’t be able to play football as he had hoped.
He may also have to learn to write with his right hand because he usually uses his left.
“So how am I going to write? I’m going to write with this hand? I’m going to write sloppy. I can’t even play good with this remote control. I got to go like this,” Cummings said.
No charges have been filed. It’s not clear where the boy got fireworks.
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]
MORE NEWS: Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa Placed On Injured Reserve