FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) -Sunrise police said they were forced to fire on a man armed with a knife late Tuesday morning.
The 38-year old man was pronounced dead at the hospital. It happened at the corner of Sunset Strip and University Drive at 11:00 a.m.
Police said they received a call that there was a disturbance between two roommates and one man, armed with a knife, was acting irrationally.
The caller said the man with the knife suffered from mental illness and may not be taking his medication.
“The subject fled. Officers deployed canines and their Tasers. One of the officers was forced to discharge his weapon” said police spokeswoman Cindi Mccue.
The gunfire had people ducking for cover in the busy Walgreens parking lot where the shooting happened.
“I heard boom, boom, boom. I didn’t know where the bullets are flying” said a witness who identified himself as Dredd.
Cherie Ince said she was exiting Walgreens when the commotion started.
“He was trying to show them all he had was a pocket knife and when he showed them he had it, that’s when they got aggressive and shot him,” said Ince.
- Viral ’10-Year-Challenge’ Could Put Your Cyber Security At Risk, Experts Warn
- ICE Contractor Accused Of Wanting To Fulfill “Daddy-Daughter” Sex Fantasy Caught In Sting
- Iconic South Florida Chef Norman Van Aken Brings Talents To Wynwood With “Three”
- Police Need Help Finding Missing Woman
- Two County Chase Ends With Two People In Custody