TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — New allegations that Governor Rick Scott’s own top watchdog was warned about a possible cover-up of two suspicious prison deaths and did nothing have surfaced.
CBS4 news partner, The Miami Herald reported Friday that the governor’s chief inspector general received an anonymous letter in Oct. 2012 that included details about prisoners who had died while in state custody.READ MORE: FIU's Dr. Aileen Marty On Omicron Variant: 'It Looks Like It's Going To Be Very Significantly Virulent And Very Transmissible'
But instead of opening an inquiry, Melinda Miguel turned it over to the inspector general at the Department of Corrections, which conducted a cursory review.
Miguel works directly for Scott, but so far the governor has not said anything about the scandal, which has led to the firings of prison employees. The questions surrounding the prison system’s handling of the cases has resulted in the Florida Department of Law Enforcement being placed in charge of investigating 82 cases in which prison inmates died from non-natural causes.
The anonymous letter was addressed to Scott and stamped as being received by Miguel. It included details about the deaths of Randall Jordan-Aparo at Franklin Correctional Institution in 2010 and Darren Rainey at Dade Correctional in 2012. Rainey, a mentally ill prisoner, was punished in 2012 with a shower so hot that his skin separated from his body. Jordan-Aparo was reportedly gassed while in a confinement cell.
The letter states that “cronyism and cover-ups are destroying the department.”
The Scott administration on Friday did not dispute that Miguel received the anonymous letter but said it came after criminal investigations had been launched.
Frank Collins, a spokesman for Scott, pointed out that both deaths are part of “active criminal investigations” that are being conducted by the FBI, the Miami-Dade Police Department and the FloridaDepartment of Law Enforcement.
“They are all lead on these criminal investigations – not the Chief Inspector General,” Collins said in a statement adding that Miguel is “coordinating with the lead agencies to ensure that justice for these individuals and their families is done.”READ MORE: Local Leaders Recognize Surfside First Responders
Still the timeline shows that FDLE had initial closed the investigation into Jordan-Aparo’s death at the time the letter was received. That investigation was reopened with the FBI last September.
Instead of responding to the claims in the letter, Miguel turned it over to DOC’s inspector general, which conducted a cursory report, the paper said. A summary of the DOC report notes some “staff violations” in connection with Jordan-Aparo’s death, and states that Miami-Dade police were handling Rainey’s case.
This past July, the warden at Dade was fired for his handling of the investigation into Rainey’s death.
DOC officials in recent weeks have also fired dozens of other prison employees, including several over abuse allegations that they punched and beat inmates.
The Herald also reported that this past march Miguel refused to give DOC investigators whistle-blower protection after they told her that the department’s own inspector general was pressuring them not to charge anyone in the Jordan-Aparo case. She also refused to give whistle-blower protection to a DOC probation officer who also told her about suspicious aspects of Jordan-Aparo’s death. That officer was later fired although the department maintains she was terminated for absenteeism.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]MORE NEWS: Miami Police Department Sees Record Number of Applications In Hours