CORAL SPRINGS (CBSMiami) – Six students at Sawgrass Springs Middle School were hospitalized Wednesday afternoon after ingesting a medication that a fellow student brought to the school, Coral Springs Fire Rescue officials said.
According to Broward County Schools spokeswoman Nadine Drew, six female students in the eighth grade were transported to Broward Health Coral Springs due to a reaction to the medication. Two other students were evaluated at the school, located at 12500 West Sample Road.
The student who brought the medication was also transported, according to Drew.
Mike Moser, Coral Springs Fire Rescue spokesman, said Poison Control recommended the students who ingested the medication be monitored at the hospital for 24 hours. He said the medication was Glipizide.
According to several medical websites, Glipizide is a drug used for various medical conditions including diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension and gastric disorders. Side effects can include Myocardial infarction, feeling abnormal and nausea.
Moser said none of the students displayed any of the typical signs or symptoms. They were all conscious and alert when they were taken to the hospital.
CBS4’s Carey Codd spoke to a student who said she heard the drug was being passed around the school Wednesday.
“Two girls at lunch trying to pass it around and try to give people some like we’re kids, we’re children,” said the student, Ayisha Torres.
Broward County school District officials said they are working with the Coral Springs Police Department to investigate the incident.
Coral Springs Police Spokesman Joe McHugh said they have identified the student who handed out the pills and were questioning the student.
Parent Marian Feraru told CBS4 News that she’s complained about possible drug activity at the school.
“I’m very upset with this school, especially with the principal,” said Feraru. “My daughter is telling me that a lot of kids are doing drugs in the school and nobody seems to be doing anything about it.”
A teacher at the school who did not want to provide her name said Sawgrass Springs is an “A” school and that this is an isolated incident. She said the school staff handled the situation quickly and in the correct manner.
As the investigation moves forward, 7th grader Nicole Feraru hopes the students involved learn their lesson.
“I think that’s their own fault and they’re gonna have to deal with it in their own way,” she said.
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]