MIAMI (CBSMiami) – It may be a long night at a Miami-Dade budget hearing Thursday as there is plenty to discuss in the county’s $6 billion budget.

The hearing starts at 5:00 p.m. at the Stephen P. Clark Center.

It’s the first of two planned budget hearings in Miami-Dade County.

In a press conference last week, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said they’ve managed to close a $208 million budget gap thus saving jobs particularly in the police department.

“Not a single sworn police officer will lose their job because of our budgetary challenges,” said Gimenez.

Since the budget proposal was announced in July. Several labor unions have reached tentative agreements with the county that includes a deal to tweak health insurance plans.

“I remain committed to working with all of our labor partners to ensure that our government is more efficient with long-term sustainable operating costs,” said Gimenez.

He has said at town hall meetings held over the last few weeks that, under the plan, fire services would remain intact and county library services would be expanded.

He said Miami-Dade has turned a new financial corner.

“We have brought a balanced budget that places us on a foundation of fiscal sustainability for the next five years,” said Gimenez.

The second budget hearing is scheduled for Thursday, September 18th.

Commissioners must approve the budget before October 1st, when the next fiscal year begins.

RELATED CONTENT:
[display-posts category=”politics” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]

 

Lauren Pastrana

Comments