MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Gwen Cherry Park in Miami is listed among several locations around the US as a venue for a “National Day of Rage” protest on Thursday evening.
The protest is allegedly being staged by the activist group Anonymous in response to the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri and the subsequent police actions against protesters in the city.
“We call upon the citizens of the United States to collectively gather in support for those who are suffering in Ferguson,” a voice claiming to represent Anonymous says in a video posted to YouTube. “We must indeed all hang together as one nation, or most assuredly we will all hang separately.”
Brown was unarmed at the time of the August 9th shooting by a Ferguson police officer.
The Anonymous group names more than 40 cities in their peaceful Day of Rage protests, which are scheduled to start at 7 p.m.
Officials from the Miami-Dade Police Department told CBS4 News that they are aware of the planned protest and they support a peaceful protest. While no extra patrols or personnel are being scheduled for the area, the department said it will have uniformed personnel available if it’s needed.
- Miami-Dade Mayor Wants To Help Children Being Held In Homestead Facility
- BSO: Broward Teacher Downloaded, Shared Child Porn Images
- Three People Shot At Close Range In Miami Gardens Expected To Be OK
- Melania Trump Dons ‘I Really Don’t Care. Do U?’ Jacket Before Visiting Border Facilities
- Cold War Navy SEAL Tells Story Of Clandestine Op Which Nearly Defeated Che’ In The Congo