SAN JUAN (CBSMiami) — Coast Guard officials seized more than 3,500 pounds of marijuana during a drug interdiction south of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea.
The drugs have an estimated $3.5 million wholesale value.
Law enforcement detained five suspected smugglers.
The Coast Guard Cutter Northland reported a suspicious 68-foot vessel An-Nur and found the marijuana onboard.
The Northland handed over the drugs and alleged smugglers to Customs and Border Protection and Federal Bureau of Investigation special agents.
Since October 2013, the Coast Guard has seized 17,591 kilograms of cocaine and 4,341 pounds of marijuana during 25 counter-drug interdictions under Operation Unified Resolve, in partnership with regional law enforcement authorities in the Caribbean. The wholesale value for these seizures is worth more than $444 million.
- Women Claim Racial Profiling After Being Searched By Police At Miramar Walgreens
- Miami Mayor To Join Others In Texas To Protest Separating Of Families
- President Trump Signs Order To End Family Separations At Border
- Sen. Nelson Slams Trump Admin For Separating Kids From Parents At Border
- Appeal Filed For Officer Seeking ‘Stand Your Ground’ Defense