MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Coast Guard has called-off the search Wednesday for a man who went missing during a shark diving venture in the Bahamas Sunday.
John E. Petty, 63, a resident of Longview, Texas, went missing from a commercial dive vessel in the vicinity of West End, Bahamas Sunday night.
Dive gear belonging to Petty was found during the extensive search.
Coast Guard 7th District command center watchstanders were contacted by the captain of the commercial dive vessel Shear Water late Sunday night stating that Petty went shark diving with eight others and did not return.
Coast Guard launched multiple air and sea assets in the search alongside Royal Bahamas Police Force.
More than 4,600 miles were search which lasted 64 hours total.
- Bank Robbery Suspect Caught Following Police Pursuit, Rollover Wreck On I-595
- Photo That Symbolized Immigration Crisis Not All That It Seems
- CBS4 Gets Inside Look At Homestead Facility Housing Migrant Kids
- Community Leaders Meet To Discuss TPS
- Parkland Students To Kickoff Statewide ‘March For Our Lives’ Summer Tour