KEY WEST (CBSMiami) – When you think of Key West, what drink comes to mind?
A Massachusetts bartender answered the question with a concoction that won a national contest staged on the island city’s Duval Street.
Sean Fitzpatrick of Provincetown took home the top honors at the Stoli Original Key West Cocktail Classic Saturday night.
Fitzpatrick defeated 11 other regional winners from LGBT bars around the U.S.
The winning drink was a colorful pineapple-and-ginger mixture served in lime-garnished glasses, inside hollowed-out pineapples.
Judges of the contest included Broadway actor and former “Queer Eye” television personality Jai Rodriguez, Emmy Award-winning comedy writer and actor Bruce Vilanch and clothing designer Andrew Christian.
Several things went into the judging including appearance, aroma and taste, as well as the bartender’s showmanship. Extra points were given for entries that communicated the offbeat spirit of Key West.
“The thing that’s really about Key West is the pineapple and the ginger, because the pineapple is here — everybody drinks with pineapple — but the ginger gives the sassiness of Key West,” said Fitzpatrick of his winning libation to the Florida Keys News Bureau.
Fitzpatrick prizes includes a $5,000 donation to an LGBT-friendly charity of his choice.
The Florida Keys News Bureau contributed to this report.
- Nikolas Cruz Told Student, ‘You Better Get Out Of Here’ Before School Shooting
- 2 Accused Of Robbing Store With Suspect’s 4-Year-Old Son Waiting In Getaway Car
- CBS4 Gets Inside Look At Homestead Facility Housing Migrant Kids
- Miami Dolphins Surprise Underprivileged Kids At Their Practice Facility
- Former Middle School Teacher Facing Child Porn Charges Appears In Court