POMPANO BEACH (CBSMiami) — A freight train hit and killed a 90-year old man Saturday in Pompano Beach.
It all happened just before 9:00 a.m. at East Sample Road and North Dixie Highway.
The driver of the 2014 Toyota Corolla, Simone D’Alessio, allegedly tried to go around the railroad gates that were down and ended up stopping on the railroad tracks, according to Miami Fire Rescue.
Crews transported D’Alessio in extreme critical condition to Broward Health North where he later died.
Drivers are being warned to seek alternate routes near the area of the incident.
The intersection of Sample Road and Dixie Highway as well as NE 33rd Street are closed due to the investigation into the man’s death.
Broward Sheriff’s Deputies said they expect the two intersections will be closed until the afternoon.
- Evidence Hearing Canceled In Case Of Self-Confessed Parkland School Shooter
- Lawsuit Against PBSO Sheriff Ric Bradshaw Claims Teens Jailed In Solitary
- Lake Worth Woman Accused Of Shining Laser At PBSO Helicopter
- First Lady Visits Migrant Children At Detention Center
- Miami Police Investigating Deadly Shooting