TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — The civil rights group Dream Defenders is asking Gov. Rick Scott to end education discrimination in Florida’s school system.
On Monday, they will deliver a petition with nearly six thousand signatures to the governor which demands that the” stop discriminating against black and Hispanic students by setting lower academic goals for students of color.”
The Southern Poverty Law Center helped organize the petition. The center filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in August saying the Florida Department of Education discriminated against black and Hispanic students in its strategic plan.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Broward County To Hand Recount Commissioner Of Agriculture Race Saturday
- Get Pumped To Save Money & Time At The Gas Pump
- Two Hospitalized After Driver Plows Into Bus Bench Near Dadeland Mall
- Broward Completes Hand Recount In Senate Race, To Recount Agricultural Commissioner Saturday
- Brightline Set To Become Virgin Trains USA