KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Kansas City Chiefs selected Auburn defensive end Dee Ford with the No. 23 overall pick in the NFL draft Thursday night, landing a potential replacement for Tamba Hali or Justin Houston.
With only one selection in the first two rounds, Kansas City was thought to be trying to trade out of its pick. But general manager John Dorsey and coach Andy Reid wound up with Ford, eschewing a wide receiver or defensive back that could have filled bigger holes.
Hali turns 31 in November while Houston is due to become a free agent after the upcoming season. Ford will likely move to outside linebacker and be groomed as a replacement.
Ford made 10 1/2 sacks for the Tigers last season.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hurricanes Guard Lonnie Walker Taken By Spurs In 1st Round Of NBA Draft
- Defend The Territory: Florida Panthers Release Full 2018-19 Schedule
- NASCAR Driver’s Father Rushed Onto Track To Pull Him From Burning Car
- NFL Players Respond To President Trump’s Request For Names Of People To Pardon
- The Best NBA Draft Pick Ever From Each Slot