MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The man responsible for three deaths in a violent hit and run accident at Miami intersection in 2011 has pled guilty.

Thursday, Cedric Williams pled guilty and received 20 years in jail followed by 10-years of probation.

READ MORE: South Florida Playing Pivotal Role In Transformation Of Psychedelics As Mainstream Medicine

His plea came as jurors were deliberating a verdict at his trial. Williams also apologized to the families of the victims.

A sentencing hearing was scheduled for February 6th.

Williams, now 52, admitted to police that he was under the influence of alcohol while driving with an expired license and tag.  He was trying to get away from a police car when he crashed into another vehicle in the intersection of NE 2nd Avenue and 82nd Street in January, 2011.

Robert Wissler, 25, was behind the wheel of his Honda Civic when Williams, who was driving a van at a high rate of speed, plowed into him. After the crash witnesses told police they saw the driver of the van limp away into a neighborhood.

READ MORE: Parkland parents furious following Texas elementary school shooting: ‘They failed our kids again’

Dean Wissler, Robert’s father, said his son had been on a date earlier in the night and that two of his passengers; Lindsey Ennis, 20 of Duluth, Ga., and Kayla Elizabeth Bain, of Putnam Station, NY, were visiting South Florida. All three were killed.

The fourth person in the car, Robert Judd, 69, of North Miami Beach, who was riding in the front passenger seat, was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

When Miami police went to William’s house, he refused to come out. Officers from Miami-Dade along with Miami police officers surrounded the home for several hours until his family members convinced Williams to surrender.

In the house, Williams reportedly confessed to his mother that he did it, saying ‘it happened so fast’.

During questioning by police, Williams again reportedly confessed to running a red light and slamming into the car.

MORE NEWS: Environmental advocates who say Biscayne Bay is dying to gather Wednesday to find solutions

He allegedly told investigators he ran from the scene because he had been drinking and he knew he had been driving with a suspended license.