CORAL GABLES (CBSMiami) – Duke Johnson was the Miami Hurricanes’ primary offensive weapon last year until he fractured his ankle against the eventual national champion Florida State Seminoles. Fans hoping to catch a glimpse of him this spring are likely out luck though.
Johnson told CBS4 news partner the Miami Herald that he’s probably not going to be back in time to participate in spring camp.READ MORE: Major Food Distribution Groups Still Scrambling To Keep Up With Demand A Year Into Pandemic
“I’m just ready to get back,” Johnson told the Herald. “I don’t believe I will (participate this spring). But if anything changes, you’ll see. But I don’t really think so.”
Keeping Johnson healthy will be a key cog in how well the Hurricanes’ season goes next year. Miami will be breaking in a new quarterback and a healthy running game can make that transition a lot easier.READ MORE: COVID In Florida: 3,312 Additional Cases, 83 Deaths Reported; Broward Surpasses 200K Case
The 5’9’, 196 pound speedster was averaging more than 6 yards per carry last season before he was injured late in the Florida State game. One week before the injury, Johnson carried the rock 30 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns against Wake Forest.
Without Johnson in the lineup, UM was just 2-4 the rest of the way.
UM will get a good test of how healthy Johnson’s repaired and rehabbed ankle is in the second non-conference game of the season on September 20 when the Canes travel to Lincoln, Nebraska to play the Cornhuskers.MORE NEWS: Florida City Federally-Funded Site Clearing Up Vaccination Frustration Issues
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Miami Herald contributed to this report.)