MIAMI GARDENS (CBSMiami) – A boil water advisory remains in effect for one Miami Gardens’ neighborhood after two aging water mains burst on New Year’s Day.

Miami-Dade Water and Sewer workers fixed an eight-inch water main Wednesday afternoon. Less than 12 hours later a second pipe, a few houses down from where the original break occurred near NW 38th Avenue and 191st Street, burst.

While crews spent the day making repairs to the busted water pipe, residents found themselves fighting off gallons of water gushing into their yards on New Year’s Day.

“Really upsetting for the whole neighborhood,” said a neighbor. “We didn’t expect this on New Year’s, I was praying for a flood of blessings but not a flood in my yard.”

“You ever been to a waterfall? That’s what it sounded like, it was just coming up and the water was at my door,” said Beverly Stern.

The ruptured pipe flooded parts of the neighborhood. The catastrophe threatened many resident’s homes and hard-earned personal belongings. Many had to scramble to save their belongings from water damage.

“We just grabbed towels, I used my king size quilt, stuffed the door just in case,” said Stern

Stern and her husband have lived in their Miami Gardens home for three decades and have constantly dealt with the pipe problems.

“Every minute, every time I turn around, every time, every day, twice a year, once a year; that’s what you have every day back here,” said Stern. “They need to do better than that. I’m just tired of this.”

Miami-Dade Water and Sewer workers managed to get to the break quick enough to stop water from seeping into Stern’s home and completed repairs to the second pipe Thursday morning. However, 25 residents were still left without water.

Stern said she had to go to her daughter’s house to shower and also called out from work so she could deal with the mess.

“Big damage back there,” said Stern. “I just want it fixed properly.”

“Really need to replace these old pipes they’ve run their course,” said neighbor, Nathaniel Payne.

The boil water order will stay in effect until at least Saturday, or until water-tested is clear after two days of testing.