MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A long-standing federal court case over the treatment of homeless people in Miami has finally come to an end with a settlement.
The city and the American Civil Liberties Union announced Thursday that the agreement had been filed with a federal judge after 23 hours of mediation.READ MORE: Florida A&M Pays Off $16 Million In Fees, Tuition, and Debt For Students
The city in September sought to modify a 1998 court order that protected the homeless from police harassment, having their property destroyed, and many other provisions.READ MORE: Air Travel Hits Another Pandemic High, Flight Delays Grow
The ACLU says the agreement keeps in place the most important protections for Miami’s homeless. The settlement also puts a two-year moratorium on any further attempted modifications of the agreement to allow a “housing first” program a chance to succeed.
The original lawsuit was filed to end what proponents said was Miami’s practice of treating the homeless as criminals.MORE NEWS: Zoo Miami Mourns Loss Of Gizmo The Meerkat, Apparent Victim Of Tunnel Collapse
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)