MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Did a medication error lead to a woman’s death at Jackson Health North?
Jorge Valdes and his family claim it did. They are heartbroken over the unexpected death of their mother, 78-year old Leonor Valdes.
The matriarch of the Cuban-American family died Sunday after being brought by ambulance to Jackson North.
The family said they told paramedics and the hospital that their mother was allergic to penicillin.
William Kennedy is the family’s attorney. “She had a severe allergic reaction to something and the only thing she’s allergic to is penicillin.”
“Her neck was swollen and reddish,” the son said.
His sister claimed their mother starting convulsing.
“The hospital does good work,” said Kennedy. “But something happened here. A tragedy happened and we have to figure out what that tragedy is.”
The hospital issued this statement: “Our hearts go out to anyone who has lost a loved one but we have no information.”