MIAMI (CBS4) – Five Transportation Safety Administration screeners were taken to the hospital Monday after officials say they inhaled a pesticide while checking luggage at Miami International Airport.
Airport officials say a shampoo bottle filled with the strong pesticide leaked inside a bag that was going through an an explosive detective system. The system set off an alarm and when the TSA screeners opened the luggage to investigate, they were overcome by the smell.READ MORE: With Topic To Be Discussed At Special Meeting, Broward School Board Chair Says She’ll Vote Again In Favor Of Mandatory Masks
The incident occurred near gate D25. No flights were delayed while officials investigated.
The passenger who owned the bag was on an inbound flight from Haiti, and was scheduled to change planes before heading on to Baltimore. Because of the plane change, the bag was re-screened and that’s when the pesticide was found.READ MORE: ‘This Is About Freedom’: Republican Leaders Gather At Versailles For Another Cuba Rally
The passenger was questioned by Miami-Dade Police and the TSA. The passenger told authorities that the pesticide was homemade. The bag did not make the flight to Baltimore.
TSA spokesperson Sari Koshetz told CBS4’s Brian Andrews that hazardous materials are not allowed on checked bags, regardless of quantity.MORE NEWS: ‘2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back’: South Florida Businesses Feeling Effects Of COVID Resurgence
It is unclear if the passenger will face any charges.