Miami (CBSMiami) – Social workers from the Department of Children and Families, according to reports, did not believe Catalina Bruno, the woman accused of killing her son after leaving him in the car last Thursday, endangered the life of her son, Bryan.
In the written report, during past visits with the couple, the safety of the children in their home did not appear to be threatened and Bruno’s drinking was not an issue.
Bruno has been charged with aggravated man slaughter on a child under 18 after leaving her 11-month old son in his car seat last week outside their West Miami Dade home.
In the DCF reports reviewed by CBS4 News it states that social workers were aware of Bruno’s past for drugs and alcohol. She was accused of drinking last summer when police arrested her husband for domestic violence.
At the time, because it was a domestic dispute between husband and wife, DCF wrote that her children were not considered in harm’s way.
In November, she was charged with DUI and child endangerment when she crashed into several walls before passing out drunk with her baby son in her lap. He was not injured in the accident.
Family members told DCF investigators that the incident of the DUI was “a one time thing” and “not normal behavior” for the mother.
Bruno, at the time, said she would undergo alcohol treatment and other court counseling, which never happened. Her DUI/Child Endangerment case was still pending when her son died last week.
In court, Bruno’s attorney asked for her to have a mental evaluation, declaring that she is need of help, as she suffers from postpartum depression and had stopped taking her medication because she couldn’t afford them.
The judge denied the attorney’s request stating, “I’m going to deny your request to appoint any doctors because she has not been declared indigent,” said Circuit Judge Ruiz-Cohen.