MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Two men are dead after a shootout in Opa-Locka and a third man described by Miami-Dade Police as a “shooter” is in custody.

And a sister of one of the shooting victims and upset neighbors are speaking out.

“It needs to stop,” said that sister, who did not want to give her name but who wanted to speak out about the need to curb gun violence that she said claims too many young lives.

She and her family members gathered at the crime scene where their loved one was killed in front of some businesses at Northwest 22nd Avenue and 139th Street. The victim’s father spoke with

Miami-Dade Police investigators and told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench that he did not want to say anything right now about his son’s death.

The crime prompted dozens of neighbors to flock to the scene. Some told D’Oench they were very upset by this latest violence.

“I think it’s disgraceful,” said Elaine King. “We need to stop this. Too many young people are killing each other. This madness must stop. Too many people in one generation are trying to kill each other.”

“They are killing each other over nothing,” said another concerned neighbor Jim Smith. “For nothing. That’s what so often happens during these fights.”

Another neighbor who did not want to be identified said, “They’re hurting each other when they should just be talking about their disputes.”

Two schools in Opa-locka were temporarily placed on lockdown Thursday after a shooting in front of the businesses.

The shooting happened around noon. The owner of Moped World, who did not wish to be identified in this report, told police he believes two men were shooting at each other. He said when he heard
the shots, he ran into the back of the store and called 9-1-1.

It’s not clear who was shooting at who and what prompted this shooting, according to Opa-Locka’s Assistant City Manager David Chiverton.

A police pursuit reportedly preceded the shooting but officers were not involved in the shooting. Arriving officers and school police placed nearby Young Elementary and the Gibson Charter School on lockdown.

The body of one man was found outside businesses. A second man was taken to the hospital where he died. A third person was reportedly taken into custody.

“That person is a shooter,” said Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland.

Chiverton told D’Oench one of their officers suffered an ankle injury after he exited his car. It was unclear if the officer was injured before or after the shooting.

“The officer was injured in pursuit of the suspect,” said Chiverton. “He is going to be ok.”

Police have not released the names of the men who died. They did confirm that they searched a nearby canal for a weapon.

The schools lockdown was lifted around 1 p.m.

CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed to his report.