MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A 19-year old suspected in a murder last Spring on Miami Beach has been taken into custody in Citrus County.
Pedro Exposito, who U.S. Marshalls believe shot 16-year old Robert Lakatos during a botched robbery, was picked up Tuesday evening in a known drug location. He reportedly gave county deputies a false name and tried to escape on foot. During the booking process, the sheriff’s office discovered his real name and that there was a warrant out for his arrest.READ MORE: South Florida cruise ship employee charged with sex with minor
Last month, Exposito was featured in a CBS4 Fugitive file.
On April 6th, 2012, Exposito and two other men approached Lakatos and another teen as they walked in the dunes near 79th Street on North Beach.READ MORE: Florida COVID-19 hospitalization numbers jump
The men then confronted the teens and Exposito attempted to rob them.
“He pulls out a handgun and shoots one of them dead,” Deputy U.S. Marshal Barry Golden said at the time.
After the shooting Exposito fled upstate but the U.S. Marshals believe he may have returned briefly to South Florida at the beginning of the year.
“This is a kid who started out burglarizing houses, robbing people, and now he’s graduated to homicide,” said Golden.
It is unclear to who was helping Exposito. The U.S. Marshals said that his mother died a few weeks after the robbery and his father had never been prominent in his life.