MIAMI (CBS4) – Terminal E at Miami International Airport has re-opened to travelers after a Sunday night evacuation so police could investigate a ‘suspicious package’.

According to an airport spokesperson, a passenger flying out of MIA made remarks about having a bomb in a suitcase.

The evacuation lasted a couple of hours and affected travelers flying in and out of the airport as well as people staying at the airport hotel.

“I was in drinking cappuccino at Starbucks and suddenly someone said ‘get up, leave your stuff and run,’ and everyone just started going,” said Laurie Hamilton.

Colby Lorant, who was staying at the hotel, said he was not allowed back to his room after leaving to get some dinner.

“All the cops started pulling up and we didn’t know what was going on and it was one after another,” he said.

Police said they took someone into custody, but have not identified the person or said if there will be any charges.

This was the second set of travelers who had to deal with a bomb scare Sunday.

A Miami bound United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey was delayed for several hours after a threat was reportedly made.

United Airlines said Flight 1294, with 167 passengers and six crew members on board, returned to the gate shortly after departure because a security concern was reported to the crew.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told CBS4 a man missed the connecting flight on the United plane but his luggage was already on board. He reportedly told airline officials he didn’t care because there was a bomb in his luggage. The man was later identified as 44-year Eran Hess from Tel Aviv.

Port Authority officials said Hess was taken into custody as he tried to book another flight on American Airlines.

The aircraft was taken to a secure area of the airport where passengers were taken off the plane and it was inspected. Passenger Susan Hirschfeld told CBS4 TSA workers and police with K9s surrounded the plane and checked the luggage compartment.

“You mention the word bomb, TSA, police, security, it was so scary,” she said.

After the plane was cleared, the passengers were allowed to re-board and the flight departed around noon.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE