MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A Miami-Dade police officer who was stabbed last week while transporting a prisoner in Texas hopes to be back in Miami in the next few days.

Jaime Pardinas, 54, was released from the hospital over the weekend. On Monday, he had agreed to meet with the media on Monday to talk about what happened but at the last minute decided against it.

Pardinas’ girlfriend Marinka Stuvel said they decided was that it was better for him to rest and focus at this time. If he wants to make a statement at some time in the future, she said he will.

“He’s doing well. He’s recovering day by day and getting a little bit better,” said Stuvel. “He’s slowly recovering from injuries. He’s been up and about, he’s been eating and cracking jokes.”

Pardinas, a 28 year veteran, has never been hurt on the job until now and Stuvel said what impact it will have on him is still to be seen.

“I think that’s going to come out in the next couple of weeks when he’s home and he’s relaxed and maybe starts playing things over,” said Stuvel. “It’s going to affect him, of course, but as a police officer he was prepared, this is part of his job.”

Stuvel pointed to the 9-1-1 call Pardinas made after he had been stabbed repeatedly where he kept his calm and named the man who attacked him – Alberto Morales. She after listening to call, she could see how the veteran police officer came out in him.

“I was so proud of him for the way he handled himself during that time. That’s what he does,” said Stuvel.

Stuvel said when they found out Morales had died, they rushed to tell Pardinas the news.

“When the knock on the door came, we immediately, all of us, his daughter, his brother, me, we rushed to the hospital. His lieutenant, we all rushed to the hospital and rushed in the doors and told him. He was ecstatic. It gives us a sense of closure and as a family now we can move forward.”

Stuvel said there is no timeline as to when he’ll return to the force. That will be decided after he meets with his doctors back in South Florida. She said they hope to return to Miami in the next 24 to 48 hours but no travel arrangements have been made.

Pardinas and his partner David Carrero were taking Morales, 42, to Nevada where he was to begin serving a 30-year to life sentence for sexual assault.

During a stop at a Walmart in Grapevine, Texas – near Dallas – Morales broke off a piece of his eyeglasses and stabbed Pardinas while Carrero was inside the store.

Police caught up to Morales early Saturday morning and during a shoot out he was killed.