MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Colorado State University climatologists Dr. William Gray and Phil Klotzbach have increased their predictions for the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season by 3 named storms.
According to the researchers, they believe 13 named storms will form in the Atlantic with five of those storms reaching hurricane strength and two of those hurricanes becoming major storms of Category 3 or above.READ MORE: Closing Arguments Underway In Dayonte Resiles Murder Trial
In their last forecast issued in April, the duo predicted 10 named storms with four hurricanes and two of those hurricanes hitting at least Category 3 on the Sapphir-Simpson scale.READ MORE: Overnight Fire in Fort Lauderdale High Rise Leaves One Dead, Another Hospitalized
Gray and Klotzbach also said the odds of at least one major hurricane hitting the U.S. coast was 48 percent. Historically, the average odds of a storm hitting the U.S. was 52 percent.MORE NEWS: NFL Week 13 AFC East Preview: CBS Boston's Levan Reid Calls AFC East Title Fight A Battle Of 'Big Brother Vs Little Brother'
Despite the prediction for a slightly below average hurricane season, both forecasters said coastal residents shouldn’t let their guard down. South Florida knows that all too well as Hurricane Andrew hit during a very below average hurricane season.
- Click here for the very latest hurricane news.