MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The man charged with DUI manslaughter in a deadly hit and run accident which claimed the life 13-year old Kaely Camacho skipped a court appearance Friday and let his lawyer speak for him, entering a plea of “Not Guilty”.

The attorney for Sandor Guillen appeared before Judge Marisa Tinkler-Mendez at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building and spoke on behalf of his client.

While Guillen did not appear, members of Kaely’s family were present, and spoke briefly.

Bruce Cease, Kaely’s uncle and a family spokesperson, said the ple did not come as a surprise and that the family expected no less than a ‘not guilty’ verdict.

“I think the state attorney is doing all they can to gather the evidence for the trial, we don’t expect the trial in the near future, and we will just wait and see what happens. We feel very confident and of course the family is very upset, still upset.”

Kaely’s parents, Angela and Kirk Camacho, said all they want is justice for their daughter.

“We’re going to be here, every time there’s a case, a date that we have to come and be present we’re going to be here and support, you know, this tragic loss that we’re suffering,” said Angela Camacho in the hallway after the hearing.

Guillen posted bond April 25th after his original bond of $1 million was lowered to $205 thousand. He was released after he was fitted with an electronic monitoring device.

The previous bond of $1 million was one of the highest bonds ever in state history for DUI manslaughter, according to authorities. The bond of $205,000 was also much higher than the average bond for DUI manslaughter.

By order of the judge, Guillen is not able to drink or drive under his house arrest. Guillen and his parents, who are from Nicaragua, also surrendered their passports. Guillen’s attorneytold the court Friday that his client is meeting the conditions of his bond.

Kaely Camacho (Source: Perez Family)

Kaely Camacho was killed when Guillen’s Land Rover T-boned her father’s minivan at U.S.1 and SW 184th Street in Southwest Miami-Dade on Friday, April 13th. Police said Guillen was driving 100 mph on the Miami-Dade busway.

After Guillen hit the Camacho’s minivan, police said his Land Rover hit a tree, spun five times and then stopped nearly 400 feet away from the original collision. Guillen then tried to run from the scene but he was caught a couple of blocks away, according to police.

A source close to the investigation told CBS4 News that in interviews with police, Guillen admitted to have been “drinking hard liquor” before the crash.

Kirk Camacho and Bree Ann, 16, were treated at Baptist Hospital and released the same morning.

Guillen has been charged with vehicular homicide, DUI manslaughter, leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, leaving the scene of an accident causing serious bodily injury, and driving without a driver’s license resulting in a death.

Comments (2)