LOS ANGELES (AP) — Gary Ross says he won’t direct “Catching Fire,” the second installment in Lionsgate’s blockbuster “The Hunger Games” franchise.

In a statement Tuesday, Ross says “after difficult but sincere consideration,” he decided not to direct the film. He blames limited time to write and prep the film because of the fixed, tight production schedule.

READ MORE: 'Hidden Worlds': An immersive voyage into deepest oceans & mesmerizing mangroves through state-of-the-art technology

Ross says making “The Hunger Games” was the happiest experience of his professional life. He also denies reports that negotiations with Lionsgate had been problematic.

READ MORE: Haiti's contributions to South Florida in full display at Haitian Heritage Month Art Exhibition

Lionsgate officials say in response that they’re “very sorry” Ross has chosen not to direct “Catching Fire” but they look forward to working with him on future projects.

“Catching Fire” is the second installment in the franchise based on Suzanne Collins’ book series. It’s scheduled for release in November 2013.

MORE NEWS: Gov. Ron DeSantis signs property insurance, condo safety reforms into law

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)